December 01 2014
When asked in a classic Rolling Stone interview what he had learned about himself while going through a recent divorce, an introspective Carlos Santana offered “… one thing I have discovered is that I don't need no damn Viagra, that's for damn sure.”
Perhaps you don’t either! Kidding aside for a moment, any erosion in your sexual health and function is no laughing matter. There are effective (and cost-effective) ways to improve your sexual health, function, and satisfaction that you may want to consider, without resorting to ED drugs:
- Your erectile function is a “canary in the coal mine” indicator of possible cardiovascular disease. Before doing anything else, please take the time to rule out this possibility.
- Stop smoking! Among the myriad of problems caused by smoking is arterial damage that contributes to erectile dysfunction. Enough said.
- Reduce your consumption of alcohol and of caffeine as either in excess interferes with your ability to achieve and maintain an erection.
- Get some sleep since nocturnal erections help you to maintain penile health and to offset the daily stress on your body that contributes to erectile problems.
- Get in better shape. Apparently a great way to improve your sex life is to be someone that someone else might actually want to sleep with. And better fitness leads to better circulation, and better circulation leads to better…you guessed it.
- Strengthen your pelvic floor muscles by performing a few sets of Kegels every day. Strong pelvic muscle support healthy sexual function. During a conference call, while driving your car, while reading this sentence, … no one will be the wiser (so long as you do not count out loud).
- Consider acupuncture. No, no, the needles do not go there. It is proven to work, particularly for men who may in part be struggling with performance anxiety.
- Increase your nitric oxide levels. Why? How? Well, this is one of the happy benefits of Mr. Happy. It is designed to in part boost both your nitric oxide and anti-oxidant levels. Why both? Nitric oxide effectively dilates your blood vessels, but free radicals decrease your nitric oxide levels. We want to deliver the anti-oxidants needed to combat these free radicals while simultaneously boosting your nitric oxide levels, with the net result being to better support the healthy dilation of blood vessels necessary to give your penis the flow it needs to achieve and maintain a healthy erection. *
While this last suggestion is not meant to be a product pitch, it would be negligent to not mention Mr. Happy as something you might want to consider as an effective nitric oxide supplement, along with the other practical, actionable suggestions. If Carlos only knew...
As always, our goal here is to support your active pursuit of a fully engaged life as a man, and this includes reclaiming and rebuilding your sexual health and function, which is an important aspect of your quality of life. Got it?
Be happy, my friend. And get more Rooster back into your life!
All the Best,
* The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The products described here are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
November 25 2014
Just couple for you today:
Here is CJ enjoying a college football game. Go Bucky!
Here is Dr. Geo on a radio show discussing men's health and vigor:
Share the fun and send us your Mr. Happy shot today!
October 18 2014
Protein is essential to a wide range of bodily functions and in building and repairing muscle. No argument there. What I do object to is how the meat and dairy industries have spent millions, if not billions, on convincing us that the only source of high quality protein are their products.
This is simply not true.
Proteins consist of twenty amino acids, of which eleven are naturally synthesized by our body. We are able to get the remaining nine, which are also known as Essential Amino Acids, from the foods we eat and the nutritional support with which we complement our diet.
So to be clear, our body needs to ingest these nine Essential Amino Acids, not protein per se. This is a key point since these Essential Amino Acids are available from a wide variety of plant based foods, and thus are certainly not the exclusive domain of animal products.
The argument that animal based protein is more complete is disingenuous. Although the process of breaking down animal-based proteins into it components is different than to absorb plant-based Essential Amino Acids, the net result is the same with one exception: plant-based sources do not bring with them the saturated fat and casein present in meat and dairy.
The truth is that a whole food, plant-based diet will give you everything that you need to be healthy and to function at peak levels. As with any diet, you need to be smart about it in terms of making the sound choices and incorporating a wide variety of foods such as:
- Nuts and Nut Butters
- Seeds (e.g., chia, sesame, sunflower)
- Legumes (e.g., green peas, edamame, chickpeas)
- Grains (e.g., quinoa)
- Vegetables (e.g., leafy greens)
So do not be fooled by food industry marketing campaigns. You can ingest an ample supply of Essential Amino Acids without consuming any dairy or meat products. Find a dietary regimen that works well for you, but ensure that it consists of whole foods and is primarily plant-based. There are lean sources of animal protein, of course, so once again, find what works best for you and stick to it.
All the Best,
September 07 2014
A fully-engaged life as a man never lacks challenge or entertainment value. For example, on Saturday in NYC, Mr. Happy sponsored a team of "weekend warriors" for the 2014 Spartan Race.
We are pleased to report that our Spartans enjoyed a much better outcome than their counterparts at Thermopylae. Congratulations to Austin, Brandon, Gary, and Geo. Well done!
Nice and relaxed before heading over to the race.
Sometimes just crossing the Starting Line is a victory in and of itself. Awesomeness to follow.
Mid-race, some serious Rooster action is taking place.
This extra load to carry reminds us that this race is well-named.
Hours, obstacles, and miles later, our conquering warriors are momentarily too tired to smile.
Everybody loves a winner!
June 30 2014
Mr. Happy is a perspective on living that entails embracing all that life as a man has to offer us, and a confidence that our best days are ahead of us. Too many of us men settle in to middle age, and then wonder what happened to that sense of fun and adventure that they recall from earlier days.
Your potential for creating your greatest future memories has not changed, but perhaps your good natured swagger has lost its hop. Some of this is physiological as we age, but much of it is attitudinal and psychological. And all of this is fixable if you are willing to act and make the necessary changes.
Diet, exercise, stress management, sleep improvement, and the boost from the nutrients that comprise the Mr. Happy formula all work together to give you an unfair advantage relative to other men your age. This combination gives you the ability to "turn back the clock" and embrace the potential for fun and adventure that surrounds you each day.
To tap into this potential, you need to act. To quote Reggie Jackson, you need to be "the straw that stirs the drink." You need to become the event, not an observer waiting for it to start. You need to stop looking through the rear view mirror and instead focus on the open road ahead of you. You need to be what we refer to as a Mr. Happy.
For example, if you want more fun, how about being more fun? If you want better friendships, how about being a better friend? If you want more energy and vitality, how about making better lifestyle choices? If you want a better sex life, how about being someone that someone else might actually want to sleep with? And so on.
Mr. Happy will help you to reclaim and brighten your future. All you need to decide is if you are worth the investment to make it happen. Of course you are, or you would not be here, right now, reading this well intended "wake up call." All you need to do is act.
The gentleman below? This is who we should all aspire to be sometime down the road! He is having a great time, and it shows. He is a true Mr. Happy hero! A Rooster in his own right.
How about you? You can do this...
All the Best,
David (not shown here, but give me a few decades)
June 26 2014
Let's talk food. Although whole foods are a better nutritional choice than processed, within the category of whole foods you have a chance to do far better for yourself. Today we'll examine if and when organic is worth the premium in price, and give you a cheat sheet to make it easy to make better decisions.
What is the problem with "conventional" produce?
"Conventional" produce is exposed to pesticides (e.g., herbicides, insecticides, and fungicides) that cannot always be completely washed away. By contrast, "organic" produce is not exposed to pesticides. In other words,
Conventional = Organic + Pesticides
You would not choose to add a sprinkle of pesticides to food you are about to eat, but this is what you are in effect doing with at least a subset of "conventional" produce.
To avoid pesticides, do I need to go 100% organic?
No. By being aware of which fruits and vegetables are most susceptible to serious contamination by pesticides, you can buy only the organic versions of these items.
There is an organization called the Environmental Working Group that has produced a pesticide avoidance guide that identifies which items should only be bought as organic and which can more safely be bought as conventional. What follows are EWG's recommendations. Thank you, EWG!
What are the "Dirty Dozen" that I should only buy in organic form?
- Grapes – imported
- Sweet bell peppers
- Kale/collard greens
What are the "Clean Fifteen" that I should be comfortable buying in conventional form?
- Sweet Corn
- Sweet peas
- Sweet potatoes
As we seek to nourish our body, to slow the aging process, to maintain healthy weight and fitness levels, and to boost our innate ability to combat illness and disease, let's not handicap our efforts with unnecessary, avoidable exposure to toxins such as pesticides.
You would never "sprinkle on" a bit of toxins onto something you are about to eat, so do not inadvertently do just that by not following the simple guidelines provided here.
Pesticide-free eating is easy to do. Just print out and take with the above list to make it easy to make smart choices about what you put into our shopping cart and onto our plate.
And eat well! Whole foods trump processed foods, and in certain cases, upgrading to organic is your far better choice. Enjoy.
April 03 2014
Men begin to experience the unwanted effects of 'aging' at about 40. The truth is that 'aging' is largely avoidable. Experiencing a disease-free life filled with stamina, strength and vitality is obtainable. Life should be and can be Better with Age.
In this webinar, Dr. Geo will define 'aging', teach you how it works, and give advice on the best anti-aging techniques for men. No scientific jargon, but straight talk and actionable advice.
Join Dr. Geo's Better in Bed and in Life webinar to learn how to stay fully engaged, happy, and living your best life at any age. We look forward to seeing you there.
Time: Wednesday, April 9th at 9:00 PM Eastern Standard Time.
Place: Register Here.
Cost: None, as this is our gift to you.
March 24 2014
Mr. Happy is popping up everywhere, not just nationwide, but worldwide. Thank you for sharing the wealth.
Here is another sample of photos that we have recently received from Roosters who are pursuing and enjoying all that life has to offer. Better with Age are words to live by.
Here are greetings from our friend Dave and his colleagues at NYC MTA:
Thank you to Mr. Guerrero in balmy Santo Domingo:
Thank you to our good friend Mary Rose in Brooklyn:
Here is our own Dr. Geo visting Nashville for a conference:
Here are our good friends Jessica and Marc (hereby granted the title of a Mr. & Mrs. Happy):
And here is our good friend Brian in not balmy Milwaukee:
Why not send us your photos sporting your Mr. Happy attire? And, yes, we will award style points for unique backdrops such as the Eiffel Tower, the Golden Gate Bridge, the Sydney Opera House, the Hollywood sign, the Great Wall of China, and our current top priority: the Mitchell Corn Palace.
And never forget that Mr. Happy is an approach to pursuing and enjoying all that life has to offer. We call this good-natured, fun-loving swagger Rooster. You deserve it, and now with Mr. Happy, there is no reason to even consider settling for anything less.
Join us, won't you? You will be happy that you did.
March 13 2014
I have closely studied the medicinal properties of plants for over 15 years. I have such respect and admiration for the healing aspects of plants that after my extensive training in botanical medicine in naturopathic medical school I decided to go through extra, more focused course work in herbal remedies and become a professional member of the prestigious American Herbalist Guild
I’m not mentioning this to boast, but to explain why I know so much on one of my absolutely favorite herbs, Rhodiola rosea, also known as golden root, or just rhodiola. This unique botanical thrives in high altitudes in Arctic areas of Europe and Asia.
Scientists have long noticed Rhodiola’s adaptogenic effects. An adaptogen is a substance that offsets the biological effects of mental and physical stress. Rhodiola is the best-studied adaptogen confirmed by over 20 years of studies demonstrating its multiple physiological and psychological and anti-stress benefits.
What I know about Rhodiola as an herbal remedy:
- Improves stamina and endurance *
- Improves your ability to work longer *
- Protects against physical and mental stress *
- Improves sexual health and performance *
- No unwanted side effects have been demonstrated in studies *
And yes, I take rhodiola daily via Mr. Happy, primarily for stress support and stamina. OK, I do not mind the boost in other areas.
An "Executive Overview" of the Science on Rhodiola rosea:
- Faulty lifestyle, long work hours and family obligations overwhelms us guys and often leads to fatigue, weight gain, poor sexual performance and numerous health conditions. A number of studies have shown that rhodiola can dramatically counteract such aging / overworked symptoms and increase the body’s energy levels, making it one of the best supplements for men.
- In one study, rhodiola was given to 56 young physicians on night call, when there is typically significant decrease in physical and mental performance. At the conclusion of the study the researchers found a statistically significant reduction of stress-induced fatigue after just two weeks of supplementation with rhodiola. No side effects of rhodiola were reported. (Darbinyan et al. 2000)
- Another well-designed study evaluated one-time use of the same rhodiola in 161 male military cadets undergoing sleep deprivation and stress. The results showed that rhodiola was more effective than placebo at fighting the effects of fatigue. (Shevtsov et al. 2003)
- Rats were able to swim for 25% longer before becoming exhausted, compared with rodents that did not receive rhodiola in one animal study. Researchers concluded that rhodiola enhances exercise capacity by activating the production of Adenosine Triphosphate (ATP), vital biological energy source. (Abidov et al 2003)
- Rhodiola seems to help produce more energy during exercise while also protecting muscle tissue during exercise. Rhodiola was given to a group of healthy volunteers after exhausting exercise and it reduced levels of C-reactive protein, an inflammatory marker, and creatinine kinase, a marker of muscle damage. (Abidov et al. 2004)
- In 2009 a scientific paper was publishing looking at 60 individuals who were randomized into two groups, one which received four tablets daily of rhodiola extract and the other received four placebo tablets daily. They concluded that repeated administration of rhodiola had an anti-fatigue effect that increases mental performance, particularly the ability to concentrate, and decreases cortisol response to awakening stress in burnout patients with fatigue syndrome. (Olsson et al. 2009)
- According to Richard P. Brown, MD, associate professor of clinical psychiatry at Columbia University and author of The Rhodiola Revolution, this herb has the ability to boost libido and may even help premature ejaculation. (WebMD)
- Philip R. Muskin, MD, also professor of clinical psychiatry at Columbia University states "Rhodiola appears to have a beneficial effect in enhancing sexual function," he tells WebMD. "It improves satisfaction, pleasure, erections, response to orgasms." (WebMD)
Abidov M, Crendal F, Grachev S, Seifulla R, Ziegenfuss T. Effect of extracts from Rhodiola rosea and Rhodiola crenulata (Crassulaceae) roots on ATP content in mitochondria of skeletal muscles. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2003 Dec;136(6):585-7.
Abidov M, Grachev S, Seifulla RD, Ziegenfuss TN. Extract of Rhodiola rosea radix reduces the level of C-reactive protein and creatinine kinase in the blood. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2004 Jul;138(1):63-4.
Brown RP, Gerbarg PL (w/Graham B). The Rhodiola Revolution: Transform Your Health with the Herbal Breakthrough of the 21st Century. Emmaus, PA: Rodale; 2004.
Darbinyan V, Kteyan A, Panossian A, et al. Rhodiola rosea in stress induced fatigue—a double blind cross-over study of a standardized extract SHR-5 with a repeated low-dose regimen on the mental performance of healthy physicians during night duty. Phytomedicine. 2000;7:365-371.
Olsson EM, von Schéele B, Panossian AG.A randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel-group study of the standardised extract shr-5 of the roots of Rhodiola rosea in the treatment of subjects with stress-related fatigue. Planta Med. 2009 Feb;75(2):105-12. Epub 2008 Nov 18.
Spasov AA, Wikman GK, Mandrikov VB, et al. A double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study of the stimulating and adaptogenic effect of Rhodiola rosea SHR-5 extract on the fatigue of students caused by stress during an examination period with a repeated low-dose regimen. Phytomedicine. 2000;7:85-89.
Shevtsov VA, Zholus BI, Shervarly VI, et al. A randomized trial of two different doses of a SHR-5 rhodiola rosea extract versus placebo and control of capacity for mental work. Phytomedicine. 2003;10:95-105.
I hope that this gives you some insight as to why Rhodiola rosea is one of my favorite botanicals, and thus why it is one of the five ingredients in our Mr. Happy supplement for men. Men like you.
Speaking of which, be happy.
* Statements contained on this website have not been evaluated by the FDA. The product offered on this website is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
March 12 2014
Early this morning, Woody the Rooster was seen strutting his stuff & crowing cock-a-doodle-do.
If you heard it too, don't be alarmed: someone near you is a member of Mr. Happy Nation.
Hey, isn't it about time you gave yourself a little something to crow about?
Why not try Mr. Happy today?
You'll be happy that you did. Guaranteed.